Category Archives: meme
My North Carolina blog peep, Sherri, aka LeClaw, tagged me with a meme about three weeks ago and because I’m so horrible at doing these in a timely fashion it’s taken me this long to answer all the questions. But better late than never I always say.
1. What is your current obsession?
The Office. I’ve been a fan since I first saw an episode last year but recently The Deistette and I signed up for Netflix and I discovered that it has all the seasons in their entirety. I CAN’T STOP WATCHINNNGGGG! Somebody please help me!
2. Who was the last person you hugged?
The Deistette. Every morning before I leave for work.
I try not to squeeze her too hard cuz she’s so tiny I don’t want to break her. You break it you buy it. : )
3. What’s your favorite dinner?
Enchiladas. Cheesy, beefy, fat-ladened enchiladas. It’s kinda hard to screw up enchiladas so pretty much from anywhere… anytime.
4. What was the last movie you saw in the Theatre?
That is hard to say. I honestly can’t remember it’s been so long. I don’t go to the movies that often. Believe it or not, I think it was nine months ago when The Deistette came out for her first visit. It was The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. We watched it at this cool place where you can order dinner and beer!… all from the comfort of your oversized chair while watching the movie.
5. What was the last thing you bought? (to wear)
ok, confession… I buy almost every stitch of clothing I own from thrift stores. One reason: I’m cheap. Two: I feel like I’m helping people in need, if at least a little, by spending my money at thrift shops. And three: It’s kinda like recycling and treading softer on the earth. Four pairs of slacks two dress shirts and a cool green silk shirt to wear for band gigs. $17.48 total.
6. What are you listening to right now?
The Alice Band – Ten Year Night
from my The Weepies Radio Channel
i love Pandora.com
7. What is your favorite weather?
I love the fall. I love when the heat of summer is passing and I can count on the next morning having a bit of a chill and the air is a bit dryer, giving relief from the intense humidity of the gulf coast summers. Basically that three week window in October. : )
8. Say something to the person who tagged you. Continue reading
ok, so I’ve mentioned I play in a band with some friends.
But this little exercise let’s anyone create their very own band. Following the directions in this meme I found at my blog peep The Muse’s place you, too can have your very own (faux) band!
Here are the rules (and if you are reading this, you may consider yourself tagged). Let me know what cool band you’re in!
1 – Go to Wikipedia. Hit “random” or click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band. If it’s already the name of a band, you can hit random again.
2 – Go to “random quotations” or click http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.
3 – Go to Flickr and click on “explore the last seven days”
or click http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days
Third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.
4 – Use Photoshop or similar to put it all together.
5 – Post it to your blog with this text and tag the blog buddies you want to join in.
I followed the directions and here is the result. We sound kinda like The Pixies, The Shins with a hint of Fu Manchu and a sprinkle of Dashboard Confessional along with emo and shoegazer influences. Look for our release soon!
album cover photo by Erik J. Gustafson
It turns the words of your website into a word cloud. I did a screen capture so y’all could see mine.
ok, i showed you mine now show me yours. : )
Well, i haven’t been writing much lately and I unfortunately haven’t been reading much either. My head’s been a little preoccupied with… well, with stuff.
So when my blog peep Little Miss French Horn tagged me I thought it was a nice way to get back into the blogging thing. So the meme info in quotes. Below are my answers. I don’t think mine are nearly as cool as Melon Girl… i mean c’mon. Arrested for running around nehked in a fountain.
FYI – you’ve been tagged, you have to write a blog with 10 weird, random, facts, habits or goals about yourself. At the end, choose 6 people to be tagged, list their names & why you tagged them. Don’t forget to leave them a comment saying “You’re it!” & to go read your blog. You cannot tag the person that tagged you, so since you’re not allowed to tag me back; let me know when you are done so I can go read YOUR weird, random, facts, habits and goals.
Here are my responses. Continue reading
ugh…. i’ve been sitting on this meme for so long… sorry John. The Pageless Book (see list of blog peeps to the right) sent this to me almost a month ago. I’m embarrassed to say I’m not much of a reader so I had to push the memory cells into overdrive to try and remember any books I’ve read. That’s kinda why this took so long.
And sooo… here we go.
|One book that changed my life.
Arban’s Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet
It’s the book i used when I first started learning how to play music. It gave a really good foundation as I transitioned into high school and college with music.
I haven’t thought about it in forever.
i am the worst meme replier, answerer responder-er.
I think it’s because I think way too much about it but this might be one I can actually do without hurting my brain too much. Amuirin morphed this one from a post by Bibliomom. Here goes the iTunes-kyped meme.
How many total songs in your iTunes?
Sort by song title – first and last…
A.D.D.I.D.A.S. (Korn) to Young (Nickel Creek)
Sort by time – shortest and longest…
Pantala Naga Pampa :40 by Dave Matthews Band to 10,000 Days (wings part2) by Tool
Sort by Album – first and last…
At the Point (live) by Matt Nathanson to 10,000 by Tool
Sort by Artist – first and last…
Alice in Chains through The Wailin Jennys
Top 8 played songs…
this was a surprise, the top 8 were all from the Duhks’ debut album.
But the most played from that album was:
1. The Wagoner’s Lad (The Duhks )
then the list followed with;
2. New Day (Anna Hutto)
3. Hide Me Away (Anna Hutto)
4. London Pram (Jennifer Sherrill)
5. I Feel (The Sundays)
6. The Stone (DMB)
7. Goodbye (The Sundays)
8. Love Is a Burden (The Hudsons)
Which one of these songs would you listen to when writing a poem?
London Pram (Jennifer Sherrill)
Which one of these songs would you get hot and heavy to?
The Stone (DMB)
Find the following words. How many songs show up?
Sex: 0, Death: 2 (dead – 2), Love: 14, Home: 2, Boy: 2, Girl: 2
First 8 songs that come up on Party Shuffle…
1. Love Never Fails (Andi and I)
2. Love (The Sundays)
3. Good God (Korn)
4. Chi (Korn)
5. Hide Me Away (Anna Hutto)
6. I Saw (Matt Nathanson)
7. Curve of the Earth (Matt Nathanson)
8. My Dad’s set at the Open Mic (i recorded this when we played together on Father’s Day about three years ago)
Which of these songs would you write a love letter to?
My dad’s set (in it he sang a song he used to sing to serenade my mom)
Which of these would you dance to?
Love (The Sundays)
I don’t really watch or listen to anything
while I’m tapping out a post. I’d never post anything!
So… the video I would dance to is below. Love by The Sundays.
Oh, how I love Harriet Wheeler!
Amuirin!… to the dance floor please!
B-mom? Matt? Put your french horn down MelonGirl. Anyone else? The dance floor is open!
My friend B-mom hit me with a 7’s meme. Only my second time to get tagged. Here goes… seven little known facts about moi.
1) I won a dance contest when I was a kid. ok, so it was at a birthday party and there were only about 15 kids there but it was an amazing victory. The kids having the party were twins. One had some sort of pigment deficiency and so appeared very albino-ish. The other was afflicted with being gay. ok, maybe afflicted isn’t the most PC word for a UU to use but this fact is important to the amazingness of the victory. We were only 10 but you could tell he was gay and so with that in mind, he was considered a shoe in by all to win the dance contest. We all knew he was really good at dancing (he showed off his dancing prowess in the hallways at school all the time) plus he thought of the idea to have a dance contest for his birthday party. His parents even bought trophies. It was a peer voted contest and I got the most claps. YEA!!!… me!
2. In third grade I was awarded a certificate for the best word of the week: quinquagenarian. Another amazing victory. OK, maybe not that amazing. I just went to Q in the dictionary and looked up the longest word I could find. But i got a certificate and everything.
3. When I was 12 years old I played second base for my little league baseball team and that year we won the city championship. We weren’t actually affiliated with THE Little League so we didn’t get to go any further than our championship but it was AWESOME nonetheless. Our coach bought non-alcoholic apple champagne and we sprayed it all over ourselves and the dugout. I recently found this in an old box. I was on the All Star Team that same year.
4. File this under weird and quirky. I can’t stand to have hair on my chest or under my arms. When I was in college i started lifting weights and started following the sport of body building. I bought supplements, magazines and just kind of got immersed in that subculture for a few years. Like all the bodybuilders in the magazines I decided to shave my body. I quickly stopped shaving my legs cuz it itched like hell when it grew back. (i don’t know how you girls do it!) I got used to the look and have kept with it since. This is me about eight years ago in a picture taken by my ex-wife with polaroid film and the emulsion peeled off.
I really like the artsy look of the image unfortunately, I don’t look like this anymore. 😐
5. I’ve only been to Disney World once. The cool thing is I went with my dad. (see pic below) The weird thing is I was 40 years old. The sucky thing is the big Epcot Ball was closed. The REALLY sucky thing is I was really sick.
6. About nine years ago I spent two and a half hours talking with a homeless guy in downtown Houston. I saw him pushing two shopping carts that he had tied together and it had what looked the bow of a ship on the front, so I stopped and decided to find out what his story was. We talked about… well, everything. He was quite informed. He read the paper front to back every day. I guess he had time on his hands. He claimed his lifestyle was chosen because he said he didn’t want to pay taxes to a government that had abandoned him after Vietnam. He seemed very lucid but at the same time he seemed like he didn’t quite have it all together either. I unfortunately don’t remember his name… i don’t even know if he’s alive. I took several pictures of him that day but I’m completely disorganized about my negatives and couldn’t find them. I thought the below picture was appropriate though. I took it underneath a bridge at Buffalo Bayou that had some shoes and a blanket.
7. I don’t believe in the devil or demons but scary movies about evil spirits like The Omen, Amityville Horror, The Exorcist and The Seventh Seal freak me out.
Ok, so my blogging buddy Amuirin sent me this meme almost four weeks ago and I am such a total noob that I didn’t even see it until just now. What a dork. So this is my first time to get memed in the four months or so I’ve been blogging.
And as i’ve gone through this list, I’ve decided that I’m about as dull as unbuttered toast. For those of you who like unbuttered toast… put some butter on it and you’ll see there’s a whole other world out there.
An interesting animal I had:
The most interesting animal I’ve ever had has been a cat. Ridiculous right… i told you I was dull. But the reason I say a cat is because I’ve always had dogs. I’ve never had a cat until just recently… like seven months ago. They’re weird to me. I don’t understand why they do the things they do like “make biscuits”. Why do they insist on drinking from the sink with running water instead of the bowl I just put out. Why do they not like to be held but insist on weaving in between your legs. Cats are a mystery. (below picture taken by yours truly of said current resident)
An interesting animal I ate:
Again, not very unique but interesting nonetheless for someone who has a palate as refined as someone who puts ketchup on steak. Not saying I put ketchup on steak… it’s just my palate is as refined as… ok, whatever you get the point.
ok, so interesting animal I ate… a turduckin. ok, it’s not really an animal as much as it is a hybrid of animal. You get a turkey… stuff it with a duck that you stuff with a game hen. They’re boneless so it’s like a loaf. When reading that last sentence I imagine the “ewww factor” goes kinda high when thinking about it or seeing the picture below but it was actually quite tasty.
An interesting thing I did with or to an animal:
Ok, this is actually kinda odd. When I was a kid we would go down to the Rio Grande Valley to go see my cousins. During the summer the cicadas (in spanish we call them “chicharas” i think that’s how you spell it. ) I always thought my cousins called them that because of the weird sound they made. Anyway, so what we did with them is we would get one, tie a piece of thread around it’s head and let it fly away as we held on to the string. It would fly around in circles above our head. Stupid I know but kinda cool when your 10.
An interesting animal in its natural habitat:
There’s this cool little folk fest I like going to out in the Hill Country of Texas called the Kerrville Folk Festival. There’s a weird creature that migrates and infests the hills of that region of the state during June. They’re called Kerrverts… otherwise known as hippies. Nasty, smelly things that have a fondness for new age spirituality, beer and pachouli oil. They can be seen singing, dancing and making music with crude implements. They remind me much of UU’s only with rhythm. 🙂 Again, picture taken by moi.
An interesting animal at the Museum:
I’d be stretching if I said anything here Amuirin. I’ve got nothin’. No wait… I saw a stink bug at the museum once after leaving from the frog exhibit that came through town. The exhibit had all these weird poisonous frogs and ones that glow in the dark and stuff. Does a stinkbug count?